HALLOWEEN AT PHS
Every Triton came to school strong and fully embraced the celebration of Halloween. We had some great costumes from our students, and even our staff got in the spirit!! What a wonderful place to work!!
Over 1000 Grade 10 and 11 Tritons packed the PAC on November 1st, and celebrated being on the A-G completion track. Dr. Penelope DeLeon attended and spoke. There was ice cream for all and “College Bound” shirts next week.
Math 2 Honors students in Ms. Carver’s classes used Clinometers and tangent ratios to calculate the height of buildings and objects that are too tall measure
This week Physics classes at Pacifica celebrated the season with an engineering project. They designed and built “Pumpkin Chunkers”. The objective was to design a device that could accurately “chunk” a candy pumpkin across the room. Design – build – test – modify – repeat! The competition on Halloween was intense! And everyone was a winner with extra pumpkins for “chomping”!
United Blood Services, now called Vitalant, announced last Friday’s drive was a bloody success!
Our goal was to exceed 100 units of blood. AAAAANNNNDDDD: We collected 120 units. Thank you to all Tritons for the support!
HEALTH SCIENCE ACADEMY
Special thank you to former Triton/HSA student, Jessica Moreno, for speaking with our HSA juniors & seniors. Jessica is currently a Veterinarian Assistant who is almost done with her Veterinarian Tech program.
Students compete at many activities including a pumpkin carving contest during TECA Field Day on Tuesday.
TECA seniors label parts of the developing brain using jell-o molds (thanks to our culinary academy!)
- On October 30th, the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) held an informational meeting. Over 25 students attended the meeting and received general information pertaining to the university. Students learned valuable information regarding majors at UCSB, living on campus and financial aid.
- On November 1st, the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) held an informational meeting. Over 20 students attended the meeting and received general information pertaining to the university. Students learned valuable information regarding majors at UCSC, living on campus and financial aid.
- Oxnard College held an informational workshop at Pacifica High School on November 1st to assist seniors with the community college application. Over 25 students attended the workshop.
- On November 1st, counselors recognized 690 10th and 11th graders currently meeting the A-G subject requirements. Counselors gave a brief A-G presentation and showed students how to read their TES report. Each student received ice cream and in a few weeks will receive a specially designed PHS college bound shirt.
- Lili Mejia attended a workshop at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) that detailed the criteria readers reference when grading student’s personal statement essays. A follow-up workshop is scheduled on November 15th. The follow-up workshop will emphasize on pros and cons of personal statements submitted for admissions for Fall of 2019.